23 February 2022
Two civil society coalitions – Life After Coal Campaign and the Fair Finance Coalition – wrote a letter to the President and Head of the Presidential Climate Finance Task Team – Daniel Mminele.
- welcomed the establishment of the Presidential Task Team to facilitate the financing of solutions to address a global climate emergency.
- cautiously welcomed the establishment of the Just Energy Transition Partnership – a significant foreign funding injection to enable a just transition in South Africa.
- indicated that the coalitions hope to support and inform this work and process from a civil society perspective, but also to monitor the work to ensure that any climate finance agreements or partnerships serve the best interests of the people of South Africa.
- asked for clarity on the work of the Task Team.
- asked for additional information to be considered as part of any Climate Finance Agreement.
Read the full letter here